Ask yourself the following two questions and then have someone else ask the same two questions to your staff.
- “How do you feel about the way your company is organized, it’s corporate structure, or lack there of?”
- “How do you feel about the way communication is run within the company is it coordinated and uniform to all?”
These are two of the eight questions I ask staff members when I’m doing a practice evaluation visit. Which one do you think is more likely the actual Problem verses the Symptom of the underlining problem?
Whether you’re treating your patients or managing your staff, you have to start with your organizational set up. This ensures that your practice functions effectively. If lack of proper organization is the root of the problem, you’ll have a lack of clearly defined roles and responsibilities; resulting in a lack of communication, leading to a lack of transparency or trust.
Episode at a glance:
- Great leaders are people who earn your respect via follow-through and commitment.
- An owner must be taking actions today that are creating on intended results you want to achieve 6 to 12 months out.
- Three main tools for successful structure:
- Display your company organization chart on the wall for everyone to reference. It should be complete with every position needed, what the products are for each position, and what statistics will be used when measuring their success with getting their products. Know that this should be changing all the time as you grow.
- Manage by statistics and build your practice according to a hiring compliment will help you stay ahead of your growth and prevents under- and over-staffing.
- Maintain a company communication policy between individuals. Additionally, commit to regular weekly and monthly meetings which are never infringed upon.
Brian Gallagher, PT is the founder and CEO of MEG Business Management, LLC. He has more than 27 years of experience in the field of rehabilitation and 19 years in business and specializes in Physical Therapy practice management and executive coaching nationwide. As a licensed business management consultant, Brian has helped hundreds of business owners nationwide improve their business operations through proper restructuring to achieve improved systems of efficiency and productivity as well as marketing and sales with effective public relations which have proven results for double-digit growth year-over-year with businesses around the country.