As you know, if you’ve been listening to our podcast for a while, you know that one of our main purposes is to enhance and support the APTA/PPS to bring about more positive change for the wellbeing of our profession. This week, we’re talking with a special guest discussing how (and why) you should get involved with PPS/APTA. Cristina Faucheux, PT is vice president/co-owner of Moreau Physical Therapy in Lousiana. She has been involved in the LAPTA as state government affairs chair since 2012 and was involved in the campaign to achieve direct access in Lousiana. This week, Brian and Cristina talk about the importance of advocating for the profession, how to get involved and what some of the important things PPS and the APTA do for private practice owners.
- What the Government Affairs Committee does for PPS and how they make recommendations for how issues private practice owners and their patients.
- Key contacts are crucial to helping educate legislators and their staff members on how issues impact private practice owners/the physical therapy profession.
- Don’t be intimidated by members of Congress – PPS gives resources and background you need to have a successful visit either at the district level, or on Capitol Hill.
- Why PT owners are upset about the Medicare Fee cut which goes across the board. Other groups are seeing 10-15% cuts as well. It’s important that CMS hears from owners, not just lobbyists or members of Congress.
- When you have meetings or make calls, or write letters, talk about the real people that these cuts impact. Don’t be afraid to invite elected officials to your clinic so they can see first hand the impact on your patients and your business.
- More owners are getting more patients from direct access, it’s important to learn how to market direct to consumer because of this trend.
- 60% of your patients should be return business – having a patient care representative is crucial to this statistic.
- Talk to other practice owners to avoid falling behind – networking is so valuable to being a business owner. Don’t just talk to physical therapists but also other entrepreneurs in the service industry.
- How to Get Involved with PPS
- PPS Conference Information
- WebPT Webinar on Medicare Compliance
- What is a Patient Care Representative
Cristina Faucheux, PT is Vice President and co-owner of Moreau Physical Therapy with 14 private outpatient clinics and 6 contracted management and therapy services sites including hospitals and industrial sites in Louisiana. She is co-owner of 2 full service gyms, Spectrum Fitness. She has served as the Governmental Affairs Chair for the Louisiana Physical Therapy Association since 2012. During her time in this role, she has been involved with LA Workers Compensation legislation and led the campaign to successfully achieve Direct Access in LA. For her dedication to advocate for the physical therapy profession, she was the recipient of the LPTA Dave Warner Distinguished Service Award in 2014, Recipient of the LPTA Champion of Direct Access Award 2016, and Recipient of the APTA State Legislative Award 2017. She advocates for the profession on a federal level by serving as a PPS Key Contact, being on the Governmental Affairs Committee for PPS and Chairman for the Key Contact Task Force. In addition, she is the APTA federal affairs liaison for LA.
Brian Gallagher, PT is the founder and CEO of MEG Business Management, LLC. He has more than 27 years of experience in the field of rehabilitation and 19 years in business and specializes in Physical Therapy practice management and executive coaching nationwide. As a licensed business management consultant, Brian has helped hundreds of business owners nationwide improve their business operations through proper restructuring to achieve improved systems of efficiency and productivity as well as marketing and sales with effective public relations which have proven results for double-digit growth year-over-year with businesses around the country.