A few clients have recently been asking us about SEO we decided to do a podcast chatting about the basics. SEO – search engine optimization – is all about how your clinic gets found online. Think about how you last searched for a specialist or a restaurant. You likely searched for “Best XYZ near me,” right? This is local search. So, even though you may have a solid list of referring doctors, you have to assume that patients are still searching online for you even before they pick up the phone to schedule an appointment. How, or if, you show up on Google searches matters to attracting new patients – if you’re not showing up at all that’s a huge problem and is damaging your bottom line given what we know about consumer behavior and our digital age.
It can be daunting and overwhelming to those not trained in marketing, but there are a number of minor things your marketing staff can do to improve how well your practice shows up online and in local searches. So this week we’re talk about some basic SEO tips you can share with your team, and if you do choose to work with an outsourced marketing team, some tips for success for working with ANY outsourced partner.
- 88% of consumers who do a local search visit the business within one day. And 46% of all Google searches are seeking local information. Therefore, it’s really in your best interest to include SEO optimization into your marketing strategy. (Source: Hubspot)
- Having a verified Google My Business Page is step 1 to get found locally. Make sure you have that and that it’s optimized with all of your services listed and your contact information.
- Google values businesses it deems “trustworthy” – i.e. businesses with reviews.
- Reviews build trust in the world of Google. Every client that gives you a success story should be sharing their success either on Facebook or on Google. If you can have them do it inside the clinic great! You could also do an email campaign post discharge to remind them.
- Don’t outsource that which you can do yourself (or have staff that can do.). For instance, your internal marketer should have basic website know-how and should be able to manage your basic SEO.
- With any organization that you outsource to, make sure roles and responsibilities are clearly defined, as well as have a clearly stated goals and how you will measure success.
- Start with an audit – you have to know where you’re starting from to know where you want to go. Tools like Moz Local, SEMRush and Google Analytics can tell you your baseline – how you rank, how people are finding you, and any opportunities for optimization.
- There are tons of free trainings out there – enhance your marketing team with some of the trainings that are provided by Facebook, Google, or programs like Hubspot. They can enhance their social media, SEO, or website skills and most are free!
- Internal versus External Marketing
- Episode 41: Changing the Game through Innovation
- Our Marketing Tip Sheet
- Moz Local
- SEM Rush
If you’re interested in learning about any of the services we mentioned, or want to learn how MEG Academy can enhance you and the rest of your staff, schedule a practice assessment with us to tell us what going on in your practice.
Brian Gallagher, PT is the founder and CEO of MEG Business Management, LLC. He has more than 27 years of experience in the field of rehabilitation and 19 years in business and specializes in Physical Therapy practice management and executive coaching nationwide. As a licensed business management consultant, Brian has helped hundreds of business owners nationwide improve their business operations through proper restructuring to achieve improved systems of efficiency and productivity as well as marketing and sales with effective public relations which have proven results for double-digit growth year-over-year with businesses around the country.